Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The one and only Karla Powell MUA

Alifeinbeautyam
Hey Beauties,
So as you know I am a huge fan of MUA Makeup and one Makeup Artist in particular “Karla Powell” the head Makeup Artist for MUA and FFB. So I was so excited when Karla agreed to an interview taking time out of her busy schedule to talk to Alifeinbeautyam readers in an exclusive interview. Along with sharing her career highlights, tips and experiences, Karla has let us get to know her personal interests and her personal goals.
Enjoy Beauties

Hi there Karla let’s start off with your career highlights and day to day schedules;
Karla Career
How did you become a Makeup Artist and why Karla?
“I studied beauty, fashion, media and theatre make-up straight after school learning new skills and building my confidence and realising this is what I want to do every day… which eventually lead to teaching make-up & hair at a local College for three years which was the best experience in my first years of being a make-up artists as I love to inspire aspiring make-up artists. I have pushed myself over the last three years to get my work noticed, networking with industry people and building my portfolio while teaching make-up I am now living the dream working in London as head makeup artist”.
What does a day in the life of Karla the Makeup Artist involve?
The life of me is varied and exciting – and challenging at times!  The day can vary from getting models ready for a photo shoot, followed by 10-12 hours of work that same day.  Or sometimes it’s an easy 10AM call, shoot for a few hours and then you are done.  Being in the office at FB Beauty picking products shades for new upcoming lipsticks, picking names for the shades of eye shadows, creating make-up looks to inspire others to use FB Beauty products on either you tube or blogs.  Meeting with fashion designers or photographers to design a makeup look that coordinates with their latest collection for a runway show.  One thing you can be sure of: it’s never a boring job!”
“One of the best parts of the job is getting to work with people all day.  I make friends and professional connections constantly due to the nature of the job.  Sometimes you yourself are tired from a very long shoot and have to remember to be positive and help keep everyone’s spirits up and working well. I have met some wonderful people in this job and made friends for life”.

What highlights have you had in your career so far?
“I would say the highlight of my career so far was working for Tumblr where I was picked from my beauty blog to go backstage at New York fashion week for spring/summer 2012. I learnt and discovered the new beauty trends for spring/summer 2012, and upcoming products which are going to big. I also learn tips on make-up artistry itself the 10 days I was there. And to top it I got to interview top make-up artists!  I learnt so much from those 10 days then I have ever have done at make-up school, perfect place for a trainee make-up artist”.
“I also was inspired to achieve more dreams within my make-up career. I met so many people which I would never have been able to do otherwise. I also achieved a dream by being a key make-up artist for Sergio Davila which meant I had to find a team to work with, design a makeup look to go with the clothes, prepare the team and then demonstrate the look…. And to see my work on the catwalk which was a dream come true!”
Karla MUA
What is it like working for MUA?
“What inspired me to join MUA was that I could as an artist inspire young aspiring artists using MUA products! This is a huge step in my career so far as a make-up artist. I now have the opportunity to inspire, teach and showcase other make-up artists how we can achieve anything with MUA products. I love the fact that I can actually get involved with a make-up company that does so successfully and help other make-up artists achieve dreams and learn how to become a professional make-up artist using our products. I know with my skills and knowledge with MUA anything is possible!”
How long does it take you to create your makeup looks using MUA?
“Depending on the make-up look itself, if it’s a natural beauty look on myself it can take me 15minutes or if it’s an extreme creative look it can take me up to 45minutes and on photo-shoots is a different story as the make-up look has to be perfect and flawless, this can take up to 2 hours to get the perfect make-up look”.
What is your inspiration on creating the looks?
“Art, Nature, Colours, Fabrics, Textures, Inspiring make-up artists and photographers- Events such as Christmas time, Easter time, Summer time…”
“Remember to have fun with make-up, after all make-up is an art form!”


Karla Get to Know
What interests/hobbies do you have other than makeup?
“Keeping Focus, Drawing & researching make-up looks, reading inspiring fashion magazines, MAKING SURE I TAKE IN THE ‘DETAILS OF LIFE’…”
What store brands do you like?
FashionistA, VIVO, Look Beauty, FAMOUS, MUA (of course) Accesorise.”
What is your motto in life?
"Your aspirations are your possibilities. "
Karla Makeup Tips
What shades/eyeliner colour do you recommend for:
Blue Eyes:
“With blue eyes, you should stay far away from blue eye shadow. If you want eyes to pop and look mesmerising then try wearing earth-tones, such as browns with a slight purple base, taupe, and slate coloured greys. If you want to have a little fun outside of the earth-tones, then try a nice rose colour eye shadow. The coolness from the pink/purple eye shadow will be a really nice contrast to your blue eyes”.
Brown Eyes:
Brown eyes can get away with wearing almost any colour of eye shadow/eyeliner. But if you want brown eyes to pop then try either green eye shadow or pink eye shadow. With brown eyes, you can also use blue eye shadow, and if you have gold flecks in your eyes you may want to try an eye shadow that has a gold shimmer to it. Brown eyes can even pull-off wearing brown eye shadow/eyeliner, but be careful because certain tones can look muddy against your beautiful brown eyes”.
Green Eyes/Hazel Eyes:
For Green/Hazel Eyes
In order to get green eyes to pop, you should try wearing various purple shades. The contrast in colour to your eyes will make them seem more dramatic. If you want your eyes to stand out but look more natural, you may want to try warmer mocha brown shades or warm colours with slight orange undertones. Basic eye shadow colours for green eyes would be earth tones with slight hints of gold, taupe colours, mocha browns, and lavender-purple shades. Since most green and hazel eyes have a variety of flecks, feel free to experiment with these colours so you can find the perfect one for your eyes”.
What lipstick shades do you recommend for different skin tones:
1. Know if you have a warm or a cool skin tone. The easiest way to find out is to look at the veins on your inner wrist. If they appear green, then you have a warm skin tone; if they appear blue, you should go for cooler tones. Many cosmetics say right on the package if a colour is for a warm or cool skin tone, which makes the selection process even easier.
2. Pick something that flatters your complexion. If you're fair skinned, stay away from dark colours that can overpower your face. Stick with pale pinks and berry shades to give yourself a little bit of natural colour. Medium to olive tones work well with such neutrals as apricots, beiges and nudes. If you have dark skin, you can be bolder and choose shades of mauve, red and berry.
3. Keep it light and layer the colour for daily wear. To avoid applying too much colour, choose a sheer lip colour and layer it on until you get the desired effect. This strategy gives you the hint of colour that you want, but doesn't make you stand out in a crowd.
Any makeup tips we should know Karla?
My Top tips I swear by…
·         You should use two colours of blush to get extra dimension in the face. Layer a lighter shade over a darker, or just blend two similar shades.
·         To get a more natural lash look, but still really open and frame the eye, use black mascara on the roots and brown on the tips.
·         To get covetable brows if you can’t get to a pro, use a very sharp pencil and “feather” on individual brows if yours are sparse. Finish with some brow powder. Never use black on your brows because it looks unnatural–brown is better. Then brush it all through for a natural look.
Karla Career Tips

What tips do you have on working towards being a Makeup Artist?
Assist makeup artists & get as much work experience as you can! You see the good, bad & everything!”

Do you have any tips on breaking into the business?
“The beauty of working with Make-up is, it’s constantly changing with trends, products, seasons and having skills like myself within teaching, fashion, photography, media & theatre you can choose any career path at any time which will keep your skills and techniques fresh with the on-going changes of makeup. Keep your options open and learn everything aspect of make-up you can”.
“I would say the best advice for you now is Working for free, which has given me experience working as a freelance make-up artist. Meeting some amazing creative people and finally to build a portfolio which I am now happy to show clients. I ensure you this has open up a lot of doors to my make-up world and I have learnt so much, your contacts grow and grow. I chose to work for free to build my experience within the make-up industry and to gain a strong portfolio. I do believe that all trainee make-up artists should only work for free if it benefits their portfolio/experiences and they gain something out of it. Unpaid work comes from particular photographers that I feel their work is outstanding and knowing with my skills we could produce some strong images for both our portfolios. So therefore we are returning favours in both parts. So I have now had a handful of collaborations with different photographers, and my work really has grown as a result. I was able to be comfortable with them and try new things, and saw results. Each photographer I worked with on test moved my work in a different direction and I am grateful to all of them.  I would say my confidence, skills and knowledge within this industry is at a very high level now and I would say that is all thanks to working UN paid and meeting some amazing inspirational people along the way who believed in my abilities. After all if I didn’t do this I wouldn’t be where I am today”.
Finally…
·         Assist
·         Keep learning
·         Network your butt off!


Do you have any tips on applying makeup?
“Pat McGrath for her wide range of make-up looks from "the highest couture to club kids, and also for her known inventive use of materials: her most creative make-up is handmade, and she works mainly with her fingers instead of brushes which I do very often”.
“And finally Alex box is a massive inspiration!!!. Alex Box is an unconventional makeup artist whose amazing creations which I constantly view as inspiration for my project. With a background in fine art, Box has become known for pushing the boundaries of makeup, taking it to a whole new level. Her work is just overpowering! Every time I see it I just want to get my make-up brushes out and play…”
So there you have it beauties an inspiring interview from the one and only Karla Powell…
Personal Twitter: @karlapowellmua
MUA Karla Twitter: @MUA_karla
MUA Twitter: @MUAcosmetics
Personal Facebook Make-up Page:
MUA Karla Facebook Page:
Personal Blog: www.karlapowell.co.uk

Karla
X

4 comments:

ColourByMakeup said...

Great post, she had some really helpful tips! :)

Kristin said...

Awesome interview! Full of great info and tips!

-Kristin@meetmeonthebrightside.blogspot.com

Alifeinbeautyam said...

Hey Zoe :)

I know its really helpfull for us makeup artists :)

xoxo

Alifeinbeautyam said...

Hey Kristin :)

Thank you it was is a great learning experience!:)

xoxo