Monday, May 21, 2012

EXCLUSIVE: The Karen Betts Interview Series...Part 2 of 4


Hey Beauties,
Today we have part 2 of the Karen Betts Interview series…

Karen Organisations

What is it like to work for so many plausible organisations in particular the Katie Piper Foundation?

“Katie and her Foundation are well known in the UK for their charitable work which aims to make life easier for people living with burns and scars. Katie’s ambition is to help others in their quest to feel confident again in spite of their scars; the ethos of the charity mirrors my own personal believes and I am delighted that my skills are potentially going to help so many people. The feel good factor you get when you watch someone’s face light up after his or her treatment is just amazing!”.

How does it make you feel to have celebrity clientele on your books for which Amy Childs became one of them recently?

“Over the last 16 years I have been able to use my skills to help thousands of ladies both for cosmetic and medical purposes and I pride myself on treating every client exactly the same no matter who they are or what their profession”.
“I am discreet and professional and many high profile clients come to be because of that”.
“In the last 12 months it has been publicised that I have worked with Amy Child’s of the BAFTA winning series TOWIE, burns campaigner Katie Piper, Coronation Street actresses Sally Dynevor and Cath Tyldesley and Sugababes Jade Ewan. Amy is a lovely young women and it has been very exciting mentoring her as she opens and promotes her salon business".
"Katie and Sally are doing a tremendous job raising money and awareness for their chosen charities so it is has been a privilege to assist them both in terms of performing their permanent makeup procedures which in turn has increased their confidence and in promoting their fund raising to my clients and fellow colleagues. In turn these celebrities speaking out about the benefits of permanent make-up has resulted in many new clients coming to see me for a consultation/treatment for both cosmetic and medical treatments”.

What was behind the idea to creating the academies of training in all aspects of the Beauty Industry, in association with ‘Nouveau Beauty Group?

“After training in America I came back to the UK and began to develop my own advanced techniques. A few years later, in 2001, I launched Nouveau Contour UK with my partner Dave Hemingway and started training others who wanted to become permanent make-up artists”.

New partners, new horizons

“It wasn’t long before we saw other exciting opportunities in the beauty market and, in 2005, we launched Nouveau Lashes with my fellow permanent make-up artist Bridgette Softley”.
“Bridgette and I went on to developed Nouveau Lashes, our top-of-the-range semi-permanent lash-extensions, while looking for a way to help clients who had lost their natural lashes through chemotherapy or alopecia. Disappointed with what we found, we began working on our own eyelash-extension system and, subsequently, put together a training programme that is now considered to be the original and best in the industry”.

“Not long after that, I went into partnership with internationally acclaimed eyebrow stylist Nilam Patel. By combining our business acumen and technical knowledge, we have developed HD Brows, a brand which offers one of the most sought-after beauty treatments thanks to its long list of celebrity fans on both sides of the Atlantic”.

A new HQ for our blossoming beauty business

“Pretty soon, we outgrew our modest South Elmsall premises, so we bought and renovated the hotel next door and turned it into Nouveau House, the companys current headquarters. Today, we have 60 staff working from four training academy locations in Yorkshire, Purley, Milton Keynes and Manchester. We and supply over 5,000 salons across the UK with products, training and services that are undoubtedly some of the best in the industry”.

What is your inspiration on creating your looks?

“With permanent make up it is not about following fashion trends but subtly enhancing or replacing someone’s natural features, obviously I can improve areas, for example, as we mature we loose volume in our lips and I can use clever shading technique to create the illusion of a softer, plump more youthful mouth, but on the whole I do not look to other people to create permanent make up looks as it is more important to understand the individual personality, lifestyle and look of the person I am treating”.

What makes you the most happiest in your career?
“Seeing the smile on my clients face when I have recreated their eyebrows or areola, especially if they have lost them due to treatment for cancer, it was after all my friends diagnosis and loss of eyebrows due to cancer treatment that prompted me to train in this art. At times we all takes things for granted and I am genuinely 16 years on still honoured to be able to make a difference to someone’s life with my permanent cosmetics skills”.
 
You can visit Karen’s website for any bookings or to support any of her projects on www.karenbetts.co.uk/contact-karen/ or tweet her @Karen_Betts

*All pictures links can be provided*

No comments: